Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Mornings

I used to love working mornings. The day was half over before I actually woke up. Then it was time to go home. It was like working part time and getting full time pay. I know how that sounds, but people who have  difficulty being alert in the morning understand what I mean.

It doesn't matter if I went to bed early or late. At times I would try things, eating protein at night is supposed to make me energetic in the AM. I was still only half awake, but I did run around in circles faster.
It is not fashionable to say you would like to sleep in, not even on weekends. I have often wondered where it says that. Is there a rule book that gives the criteria for how early one is supposed to get up and how many points are earned if you can get along wonderfully on 4 hrs sleep at night.
Yet often I hear someone praising these individuals, "He's a real go getter. He works 12 - 15 hrs a day! But this only counts if those hours start at the crack of dawn.

Oscar Wilde once said "Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast", I don't know that I would go that far. I'm guessing that he might have had my problem. All the brilliant things I hear are after I am totally alert which is around 10 am.

I read the book The Happiness Project and still follow Gretchen Rubin's blog http://www.happiness-project.com/. I found many useful ideas to apply to my own life including starting a blog, but when she said she arose at some surreal hour to incorporate this project into her life my muse almost called in sick.


Where did this culture come from? Wouldn't it be interesting if the pilgrims that came over from England and other countries were all people who couldn't sleep and were up running around getting into mischief till their parents and authorities decided that they needed to go outside to another continent and play?

So here I am writing this @ 11:00 am. If you said something brilliant earlier this morning would you please repeat it?

No comments:

Post a Comment